Summertime is pasta salad time!
I was deciding between all different variations of bright, colorful, refreshing pasta salads to create. Finally, I landed on a traditional rainbow filled one loaded with farm fresh vegetables, sharp cheeses, and savory meats with a tangy, citrusy honey mustard vinaigrette. This salad is super satiating and balanced! Therefore, if you wanted to serve yourself a huge bowl of this for lunch and head outside to the pool since it’s too hot to eat anything else, it’ll totally hit the spot and fill you up! Pasta salads were one of those dishes that everyone always liked and craved especially during the hottest months of the year. Even those who aren’t really into vegetables will be into this salad!
Of course you can’t have pasta salad without the pasta itself! Since it is the funnest time of the year, pick a fun shaped pasta and boil it until al dente!
Next: You’ll want to make your honey mustard vinaigrette and chop up all of the amazing goodies you’re going to be tossing in with your pasta of choice.
- 1/2 cup of yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup of honey
- The juice of 1 1/2 lemons!
- 1 1/2 cups of extra virgin olive oil
- A handful of freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, dried basil and dried parsley to taste.
- Be sure to whisk everything together before slowly pouring in the olive oil while whisking vigorously.
Everything you’ll need to chop into small dice pieces:
- 1/2 block smoked jalapeno cheddar
- 1/2 block of sharp white cheddar
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 sweet onion
- Hard salami
- Cherry tomatoes
- Spring onions
Pour the tangy and bright, yet sweet dressing over the pasta salad and toss, toss, toss!
Garnish with more Pecorino Romano cheese and chopped parsley.
- You can also add cucumbers, olives, capers, or peppers into the mixture as well if you would like to opt anything out, or you just want more produce inside!
This rainbow pasta salad is absolutely perfect for huge Summer soirees and gatherings outside in the heat. I love eating cold salads on really hot days, especially when they are paired with anything fresh off the grill. I know a lot of seafood lovers even love to cook clams that way which pairs wonderfully with salads such as this one! I think a pasta salad of any kind is something you can truly never go wrong with. People wait all year long for pasta salad season so take advantage of it while it’s here and make this as soon as you can! You won’t regret it. 🙂