A classic childhood favorite turned into an elegant appetizer for any celebration this Christmas!
I have been extremely into switching up old fashioned, traditional appetizers this holiday season. In the South, they are known for spreading pepper jelly on top of blocks of cream cheese to serve as an appetizer before diving into an amazing Southern feast, so I decided to put my own spin on that. That was definitely a pairing I have always loved. Ever since I was a little girl I have been topping my toasted bagels with cool, tangy cream cheese and fruit flavored jelly. The combination is the most fantastic brunch idea ever! If you have never given that a try you should, and if you have and you’re a fan, this pb&j appetizer was made for you! I think cream cheese is an ingredient best paired with absolutely anything, honestly. Therefore, my sweet childhood take on it is just as good as the original, but in a whole different light. If you are having a Christmas Eve party this year, this is something worth trying! One of the greatest things that there can be about a delicious recipe is that it is also easy to whip up! Not only can you throw this wonderful starter board together in just minutes, but it very budget friendly as well, which is a beautiful thing with the world we’ve been surviving in!
The best way to serve this cream cheese appetizer is on a beautiful board adorned with crackers and cookies to pair accordingly.
- Place your block of cream cheese on the board.
- Equal parts peanut butter and marshmallow fluff melted for 15 seconds. Pour that on top of the cream cheese.
- For the jelly/fruit component I used two different types of jams because I love giving my guests options.
- The darker side is a seedless blackberry jam and the other side is a sweet strawberry preserve.
- Mini butter crackers for easy eating!
- Chocolate drizzled shortbread cookies and double chocolate shortbread cookies for spreading.