If you are a hot dog lover this one’s for you!
I have been a hot dog lover ever since I was a very little girl. As I’ve gotten older though, and started my career I have been extremely creative with the food itself. I truly don’t think there’s anything more fun than “build your own hot dog boards”, or setting up incredible “bars” to fix yourself the perfect hot dog with all kinds of incredible toppings! It only makes sense to serve that kind of stuff when you’re entertaining a bunch of people, or you know first hand that you have at least 15 guests showing up to your event! Most of the time these gatherings are not always the case in your day to day life. However, that definitely does not mean that you can’t set up the most beautiful board for you and your significant other, or even for your few loved ones that live in your household with you. My boyfriend is far from picky and adores anything I create, so instead of serving the toppings on the side I took it upon myself to load these babies up as high as they can go!
Let me show you all this goodness that I loaded these juicy bacon and cheddar cheese farm fresh hot dogs with!
- Not necessarily a “topping” but it is very important to me to place quality ingredients into a quality bun! These buns are bakery buns, but you can purchase your favorite for this recipe.
- On top of your farm fresh bacon and cheese hot dogs pour over a scrumptious steakhouse onion cheese sauce! The cheese I bought from my local farmers market literally said “steakhouse onion”, but If you can not find that just make sure to get something smokey, or with an onion or garlic flavor to it. All you have to do is melt two tablespoons of butter in a small sauce pot over medium heat with half the block of cheese. Then splash in 1/4 cup of milk. We want this sauce to be really thick!
- Sliced raw candy onion.
- Diced beefsteak tomatoes.
- Dill pickle aioli- Mix three tablespoons of mayonnaise with one tablespoon of pickle juice, finely chopped pickles, and a few drops of your most loved hot sauce! Make sure you use dill pickles and not “bread and butter”. Season with a few dashes of sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Fried fresh banana peppers. Don’t use the pickled ones from the can, they will be too vinegary! Buy them whole, cut them in rings, and fry them up in some olive oil and a pad of butter over medium heat until they get to the caramelization that you desire.
- Lastly, for a pop of color and flavor, drizzle yellow mustard all over the dogs!
All of these ingredients were bought locally from one of my favorite farmers markets and it truly makes such a difference. You can taste how fresh and bright the flavors really are! If you have access to one I definitely recommend purchasing the ingredients for this recipe that way!
Some of the most decadent hot dogs I have ever seen in my entire life.
More times than not, this is the exact meal we get when we order from a food truck, an ice cream shop that also sells Summertime eats, and even miniature golf places that have concession stands to satisfy those cravings we get after playing an intense round of golf with the family. If you want to have an extremely fun time with your kids, loved ones, or even your entire friend group instead of having to go out; this is the way to do it! Set up the picnic blankets and benches, create a spread like this, and enjoy the rest of what Summer has to offer!