It is peak asparagus season and I am going to enjoy it as much as I possibly can. It’s one of my all time favorite vegetables because they go spectacular with any meal. When it comes to vegetables for most people they think about steamed, boring , tasteless food that we have to consume only for health purposes. Lucky for me, I love all vegetables and I love experimenting with them even more. I’m not vegan and I don’t ever think I’d go down that road. However, I do get really inspired to create different types of colorful dishes just like they do, while also incorporating other ingredients that I love like cream and various cheeses which is exactly what I did in this recipe. This really kind woman gifted my family and I fresh asparagus from her garden, so I was extra excited to experience how delicious they were! I’ve always been a farmers market girl, but asparagus is one type of produce that I don’t recall ever trying homegrown. The older I get the more I fancy garnishing my plate with a lemon wedge or just simply using the juice or zest in the recipe itself. It gives any dish this beautiful sense of brightness that you never knew you needed before adding it in. Once you smother your asparagus in this lemon cream sauce, you’ll never be able to enjoy asparagus any other way again.
How to properly store your asparagus before using it:
- The best way I’ve found to keep asparagus fresh, really crisp, and as green as possible is to place them stem side down in a glass or vase filled with cold water.
- Placing them on your kitchen counter or above your sink on a window ledge is the absolute best option! Wherever the vegetable is able to get some sunlight would be ideal.
- In doing this method, the asparagus might actually grow even more as well!
Pro Tip: Before cooking be sure to hold each asparagus at both ends and bend in half so that the woody piece of the stem breaks off easily. If you leave that on it will be extremely difficult and stringy to chew on.
Time To Sear:
- In a saute pan pour in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Place in all of your asparagus.
- Season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Sear for five minutes, making sure that they get nice and golden brown on each side. That’s what we’re looking for!
Remove the asparagus from the pan while you make the lemon cream sauce!
- Using the same pan toss in a pad of butter.
- Saute the butter with 1/4 minced onion and minced garlic. I used one small clove.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
- Squeeze in the juice from 1/2 a lemon.
- Whisk in a handful of grated pecorino Romano cheese.
- Cook for one minute and finish with parsley.
Pour the luscious cream sauce over the golden brown asparagus and garnish with fresh lemon zest.
This is a wonderful side dish for any night of the week that would impress not only your loved ones, but guests as well if you’re throwing a dinner party. Even if someone isn’t super into vegetables, they’re going to love this dish! You just can’t beat a crispy piece of asparagus that’s paired with a glorious cheesy cream sauce, freshened up with a bit of lemon. The combination will be good every single time! I know I’m the queen of combinations and I always say “this goes together like peanut, butter, and jelly”, but I’m really not kidding! Lemon and asparagus were honestly made for one another. A match made in heaven.