For the past few weeks butter boards have been absolutely taking over the internet and every social media app you could think of. Creators have been concocting them in every which way possible from sweet and salty, to hot and spicy, or super savory. If you’re not a bread and butter person you can also get really creative with these boards by using cream cheese, goat cheese, or even buttercream frosting. The toppings for each and every one of those can be endless, which is why board making is also such a fun experience! It’s a brand new way to try current combinations that you weren’t so sure about before. I truly feel like there’s nothing that won’t pair perfectly with butter when combined with the right flavors. I saw countless butter boards topped with the most wonderful spices, herbs, and sweeteners, but something I didn’t see was caramelized onions. There’s nothing better then the simple match up of onions and salted butter. You can put those two in any dish and it’ll make the meal ten times more luscious!
What you’ll need to build the butter board:
- Butter. You can base your sticks off of how many people you’re serving.
- Two onions.
- The juice from a lemon.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Swiss cheese.
- Good bread. Due to the fact that the bread plays a big part with this board it’s important to purchase really tasty, high quality fresh bread.
The Oil for the bread:
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil depending on how much bread you’re toasting.
- Season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and parsley.
- Caramelize the sliced onions with one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat for for 20 minutes.
- Season with seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chives, and oregano.
- Deglaze with a splash of chicken stock and a splash of sherry wine. The wine gives the onions their complex, delicious flavor so don’t skip over that step.
- Brush the oil mixture on the bread before toasting in a pan over medium-low heat on both sides. Then top with shredded Swiss cheese to use for dipping into the butter so that you can really get the full french onion soup experience. If you don’t have the palette for Swiss cheese you can also use provolone.
Build the butter board:
- Spread the whole stick of butter on your board of choice.
- Season with a ton of freshly cracked black pepper and paprika.
- Load the butter up with all of the savory caramelized onions.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top of the onions to cut the fat and to bring brightness to the board.
Garnish this decadent and very delightful board with chopped parsley, chives, and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve the toasted cheesy bread and regular slices of bread on the side of the butter with some halved radishes for crunch.
- You would never think of combining a raw radish with butter but it is absolutely unreal. The flavor and texture combination couldn’t be more perfect. You Diamonds definitely have to give it a try!
- When serving this board you can place lemon wedges or balsamic glaze on the side. That will allow your guests to know that they’re meant to be drizzled on top of their caramelized onion buttered bread to give contrast to the richness of flavors.
A butter board is a beautiful, unique creation that’s fit for a dinner party, afternoon tea, or a board bash with your friends where everyone is assigned to bring over bountiful themed boards for a fun eating experience. This type of board would go especially well next to different cuts of steak and chicken, also. Butter boards can very well be the new best bread course at all steakhouses across the globe! That is if they want to hop on the viral train. 😉